Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Big Sister of the Baby in Belly

I'm not sure what Alexandra thinks about being a big sister. We didn't talk about the baby much with her until later in pregnancy, when I had a noticeable belly and we started getting things ready. She isn't very interested, but she has felt my belly a few times.

My belly button went flat around 20 weeks, and popped out around 30 weeks. Alexandra thinks it is hilarious! If she sees my bare belly, or if she lifts up my shirt to check it out, she declares "Sun napa on väärinpäin!" [Your belly button is inside out!] and laughs.
Here she is doing just that while I'm taking belly pics at around 21 weeks: 


Before the facebook/general announcement, we sent this picture text to our family in Finland:

She colored on a "Big Sister" crown. It also says June 2013.

At 35 weeks, the baby was protruding limbs and rolling around like usual, so I asked her what she thought the baby was doing. She said he had a toy in there. haha

She has been oddly threatened by one-year-olds lately. She makes out-of-nowhere proclamations that babies can't take her books, or particular toys. She also says that babies are not allowed to hit her. Maybe the young nursery kids swat at her sometimes? This anxiety about her things being taken away does not apply to immobile babies or her peers.

She has had some regressive behaviors like refusing to use the potty and wanting to be carried, but those might just be a developmental phase, and not necessarily linked to the coming sibling.

When we went through her clothes and baby toys in storage, she wanted all of it. She somehow got a newborn-size onesie on! She didn't know what the teething toys are, but she tried to find ways to play with them.

I figure I've been tired and cranky for months, so having the baby out-of-belly won't be a huge adjustment for her. I think she'll think he's as cute as the dolls she likes to play with, and that she'll want to "help" sometimes. At least for a couple of months. We'll see...

No comments:

Post a Comment